It Works - Do not become a distributor

17 of 163 It Works reviews

I signed up as a loyal customer with ItWorks in May. Had some great results with the products so I finally jumped on as a distributor. Big mistake.

The friend that sold it to me was very enthusiastic and was apparently, making good money. I'm not sure how true that was, but I bought into it. I was told there were distributors who didn't make any money for months, but now were "rockstars." So I was like, cool, can't wait to earn more money.

Unfortunately, three months later, I have hardly made any money, and I've devoted a significant amount of time to "empty promises," ridiculous "bonuses," and have spent an obscene amount of money just to be "commission qualified."

My friend harassed me about it for weeks, at the same time, my debit card had become compromised, and I had to shut it down and wait for a new one to arrive. she told me to go get a pre-paid card instead - Really? Why would I have done that? I told her, look you're just going to have to wait until I get my card in.

So, onto the sign up...

First, do not let any other distributor tell you that it's only $99 to sign up. It's not. It's $113.00 and your kit takes about 3 weeks to arrive. And, ItWorks miraculously runs out of their mini-defining gels that go with the business kit. They issue you a $20.00 product credit, which is laughable, because there's not one item under $20.00, except for their "fab wrap."

All you have in your kit is one box of wraps to try to sell to people for $25.00 each to make your profit back. On the outside looking in, I wouldn't spend that much on these things. Even if you sell all of them, you're still not making your investment back.

I did get 4 loyal customers within 30 days. Thought I was going to get my $100.00 fast start bonus. Never did. My four loyal customers ended up canceling on me after 45 days because they couldn't afford the products. Heartbreaker, but hey, you can't afford it, I'm not going to pressure you to buy.

Working another several weeks, I realized I couldn't even afford to do my own auto shipment to stay commission qualified.

I recently began to become weary of some of the distributor leaders in my group. Especially, after some of the other distributors in my group told all of us they lost 50 pounds in 4 months on these products. This made me scratch my head because some of them had disclosed a much longer and different time frame to others. In addition, they didn't look like they were in need of losing that much weight. However, when those Facebook "distributor" events come around, these girls put on a show and shorten their time frames. Even then, they are still telling people THEY DIDN'T DIET OR EXERCISE on these products. I did and I lost twice the amount of weight than I normally would have by just dieting and exercise alone. I just couldn't tell people not to diet or not to exercise. That's not me.

I considered myself a responsible distributor, telling people the wraps don't make you lose weight, not to overcrowd products all at one time, and to watch what you eat and exercise 3-5 times a week. However, I've got my "leaders" telling people they don't have to do that. Most of them are in need of exercise.

A couple of things you need to know incase they are "glorified" to you:

I found out the "wrap rewards" expire after a certain amount of time. Wrap rewards give you one box of wraps for $25.00 (normally they are $59.00). Yes, you still have to pay for "rewards."

I found out "Ruby" bonuses are payable over the course of several months - forget that $500 you thought you would see in one commission check… simply not true - read the fine print.

Don't let anyone tell you that if you run an $80 BV shipment, you'll be commission qualified. My "not commission qualified" status didn't disappear until AFTER I reached over $400.00 Mind you, $245 of this was from my own purchase. So that 80/150 BV/PBV is absolute ***. The ItWorks Commission Plan is so convoluted and barely understandable that you wouldn't figure this out, until I did above. You'd keep wondering WHY you weren't commission qualified after running an $80BV shipment.

The girls in your leadership circle can make you scratch your heard - I don't know about them, but I don't like working 24/7, 365 days a year, completely ignoring my family obligations or spending time with my husband, daughter and dog. I hear some of these stories of these women who are my leaders, who have flat out said, they have worked around the clock while their husbands take care of their children and they sit on their phone or computer all day and "Make Money." I can't operate like that. I have to talk to my husband and my daughter. My daughter alone always wants to play and I should be able to do that without the need for my phone in my hand.

Your leaders have their favorites, that is, those distributors making the most money, get the most attention. Pretty much anyone who was diamond and above got showcased on the Facebook events. I think one girl used my photo for losing 20 pounds in 4 months, but she wasn't really part of my upline. My actual diamond leader used her favorites for Facebook events.

The friend that signed me up has attended wrap parties of other distributors and has asked others to go to events. Not me. I have had to do my own thing since day 1. Which is okay, as I wasn't always a fan of a lot of what the distributors were telling me on how to sell the products. It's almost like they wanted you to be deceiving about them. Since I took the products, I knew better. I wasn't going to push something on someone that I had not tried.

Distributors are giving MEDICAL advice. People with real ailments were asking distributors if their products were safe for said ailment. I would never have said yes to anything. My immediate response was "please go check with your doctor as to whether or not you can take this." Especially moms that are breastfeeding, have thyroid issues, IBS, etc. I always encouraged potentials that if they had anything they believed might interfere with their condition, they needed to check the product over with their physician, and I always gave them the product ingredients and information for them to take. I'm a paralegal and I STILL don't give legal advice - even being in the game for 17 years!

The long and short of this post is that unless you are diamond and above, have significant sums of money to start, you're not going to make any money with this company - AT ALL. You're going to quickly realize you're spending way more than you're making. The photo I'm attaching proves it.

What ItWorks won't tell you is that a lot of their "billion dollar" profits are made from the distributors who are working to make their own commission. As stated above, distributors have to haul in $400 in sales per month, to stay commission qualified. You put in $400 of sales to get approximately $24.00 in commission. You have to put out SIGNIFICANT money of your own money to attend events (bridal shows, street fairs, etc.), buy products, etc. to "stay in the game." It's too much. But your "upline" doesn't care all that much. They are still getting paid.

And trying to get other distributors on board with you, forget it. You won't have much success with that either. Again, unless the have significant sums of money to advance into their "business", they'll end up in the same boat as you.

Now, I like the products. I probably should have remained just a loyal customer, but I thought I could get people on board because I felt good and was looking good and I wanted others to feel the same way. Ah well, lesson learned. I'd be very curious about the turnover rate of this company. They won't show you that. They won't show you what amount of money distributors have had to put forth over the course of months or years to be where they are at. I can't afford to put thousands of dollars into something that's making me a profit of $24.00. I don't have that kind of rich lifestyle.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

• What I disliked
    • New you
    • False new distributor tactics
    • Lying to loyal customers
    • Telling people not to diet or exercise

Reason of review:
Not as described
Preferred solution:
I would like the $113.37 back from the purchase of the business kit.
Monetary loss:
Review category
Health and Beauty
review #928620

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with It Works? Submit review ›
Helpful? 8 Yes 8 2 No 2
Had the same issue 1 Yes 1
17 of 163 It Works reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Oct 12 #1226150 Lufkin, Texas, United States

When you sign four Lc's you become fast start qualified. You don't receive a $100 bonus. The dt that signed you gets the 100$. That is why they push so hard to get you fast start qualified! I tonspent a lot of money to never make any money and busted my ***! Scam. All of it!

0 0 Reply

Oct 08 #1224225 Belfair, Washington, United States

I feel that this post was clear, simple, and direct. She had something to say and did so in a way that it was discrete and backed up with legitimate facts about the enrollment process. Active WA state It Works Distributor.

0 0 Reply

Oct 02 #1221500

I am the distributor who signed Sicklerville, NJ, I am really disappointed by this post.
Concerns about the compensation plan and how it worked could have been discussed so that clarity could have been had. Specifically, highlighted in this post is The Fast Start bonus. New Distributors who sign 2 loyal customers in their first 30 days qualify their up line (The person who signed them) for the $100 bonus. This person was not eligible for a fast start bonus because they did not sign any distributors. As this person's up line, I received the fast start bonus because she signed 2 distributors quickly.
It's concerning that Sicklerville states that distributors in her group were giving customers advice and not directing them to consult their physicians. That information is blatantly false. Each customer is encourage to share information with their primary physician and in fact is directed to ingredient lists. Additionally, the company provides additional support to distributors to assist them with helping clients with special dietary needs.
As with all business ventures, money spent does vary because it is at the distributors discretion. The business kit is $99...plus tax and shipping. So yes, $113.00 is accurate. The nearly $800 spent by Sicklerville (between July 18 and October 1, 2016) were by choice, not necessity, suggestion or force.
I'm also disappointed by the accusations made that distributors ignore their friends, significant others and
... Show more

1 13 Reply

Oct 02 #1221520

The person didn't name themselves and they didn't name you.. so why are you defensive? Personally, I wouldn't touch this MLM cr@p with a 500 foot pole and if any "friend" suggested I get involved, I would politely tell them NO! If they persisted, they would no longer be a friend. I've seen firsthand how loony some people get over these MLM schemes. It's like, all common sense goes out the window.

5 1 Reply

Oct 02 #1221541 Brentwood, New York, United States

A no should be respected. People who don't respect another person's requests should be spoken to.
MLMs are not for everyone and, are not all the same. Some are good, some are bad...just like people.
I chose to publish my name because lies...just like push people....are not to be tolerated. Personal opinion.
Kind regards,
Jaime Lynn

1 3 Reply

Oct 02 #1221593

I'd just like to point out you pretty much confirmed it is the up line that benefits the most.

5 0
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to It Works. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about It Works.
Filing a new complaint about
×